Acupuncture has been part of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) for thousands of years. It involves inserting fine needles into specific points on the skin or applying various other techniques to the acupuncture points to bring about healing.
Research has found that acupuncture may be effective in treating a range of disorders in areas including:
- Digestive – colitis, constipation, diarrhoea, gastritis, ulcers
- Emotional – anxiety, depression
- Gynaecological – heavy menstrual bleeding, painful periods, menopausal symptoms, pre-menstrual syndrome
- Musculoskeletal – back pain, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, tennis elbow and whiplash
- Neurological – Bell’s palsy, carpal tunnel syndrome, headache, Meniere’s disease, migraine, pain, paralysis, shingles
- Respiratory – asthma, bronchitis, common cold, hay fever